Monday, September 29, 2008

Western cars

I've been surprised to see at least a few Western cars. My neighbor owns a Jeep cherokee, and I've seen at least one other Jeep driving around, as well as a Chevy Astro van and a giant Dodge Ram. European cars are decently popular, though. I see Mercedes (there is a dealership across the street) and Volkswagens all over. There is a Volvo dealership a short walk from the house as well, but I'm yet to see one on the road anywhere. I pass three Suzuki dealerships on the 40 minute walk to city hall. It is a rarity to see cars that aren't well polished and extremely shiny...anywhere. People here take good care of their vehicles at least superficially.

This is my neighbor's Jeep Cherokee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm a student in Dr. Nussel's modern Japan class this semester and I might have an answer to the 'shiny car' phenomenon. According to my friend Satsuki there's a law that you have to get a new car every so many years because used cars are a safety hazard. She was always so shocked to see the junk cars driving around Ft. Wayne. Of course this was about 6 years ago so the rules may have changed. ^_^

Small Town ALT said...

I have heard something similar to that before, but I didn't think of it. I'll ask around and see what I can find out.