Thursday, November 20, 2008

Nagasaki Peace Park pt. I

This past weekend I went to the Nagasaki Peace Park with my homestay family. It was a rainy day, but I took quite a few pictures. I never know in advance when we will go to places of photographic interest, and I by chance had my camera on me this time.
This is the big Peace Statue. The left arm signifies peace and the right warns of the threat of nuclear weaponry.
The statue as seen through the Fountain of Peace. Nagasaki's water supply was contaminated by the radiation from the atomic bomb that was dropped here, and many perished in search of clean water. This fountain is a memorial to those who died.
This is a statue marking the date and time of the atomic bomb blast.
This black monolith marks the location where the atomic bomb exploded. The black box at the front contains the names of all those who perished in the attack. This includes members of my host family.
The above two pictures are of the remnants of a church that remained standing after the bomb exploded.

No comments: